So I’ve had my hands on a brand spanking new HP TouchSmart PC for the last few days. I watched several reviews from CES on various news outlets, but didn’t expect to have the chance to play with one only a week later.
It’s hard to say if I’m as impressed as I thought I’d be after Patrick and Robert from DL TV and others drool over it while on display on the floor in Vegas. But, I can’t say I’m disappointed. HP has made a nice looking product that offers great performance and functionality. Running Vista isn’t enough, but packaged with some of the HP added software functionality this all-in-one really steps up to the plate.
I’m interested to see what market is caught with the device. It won’t be a family’s first computer purchase and it’s price point will put it in the upper middle class area; possibly suburban soccer moms who see it as a family area PC that offers organization and multimedia solutions. In any case, I doubt it’ll be flying off the shelves. With it’s simple all-in-one design and easy to use touch-screen it might appeal to the computer challenged, chronologically advanced looking to finally get rid of that windows 98 nightmare that they are still using to play solitaire. But only early adopters are going to get snatching it up at the $1700 price point I expect it to debut at.
For those who care, you can find the following under the hood;
- AMD Turionâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-52
- 2048MB DDR2 SDRAM system memory
- 320GB hard drive
- Slot-loading SuperMulti DVD burner2 with LightScribe technology
- Touch enabled 19″ diagonal widescreen BrightView LCD
- NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 graphics card with 256MB dedicated video memory (Up to 528MB Total Available Graphics memory as allocated by Windows Vistaâ„¢.)
- Integrated 1.3-megapixel HP WebCam with built-in array microphone
- HP SmartCenter Button to launch interactive mode with one touch
- NTSC TV tuner and over-the-air ATSC high-definition television tuner
- Wireless keyboard and mouse, stylus, and Media Center Remote Control
- 24 x 7 toll-free phone support and 1-year HP limited warranty